Outcome harvesting

Recently This new concept in evaluation has started to get its attention from many parties in evaluation sector.

Can someone facilitate for us, what it means? How it can be used? What are the most project that are suitable for it? When to use it?

Thanks in advance

I’m looking to learn OM and OH as well, especially because they are best known for evaluating advocacy/systems level change.

These are important topics. I hope someone can share their experience with us specially on how they differ and when we use them.

Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RjBtKuEAWmAjjH0UryGNQX6m4cjFkGch/view

i think this document is going to be very useful ,i did not read it but it was recommended to us

Hi Bilal,

We can’t access it? I requested access, and will see if it works

خلاص done

Please read it and summarize the Things for us

Thanks Bilal, will do soon inshalla

Hi @Alsalehi,

As promised, here is a summary of the case you shared. It was very helpful and easy to read:

What is this document about:

This is a casestudy of outcome harvesting done by Saferworld company. This company works in complex, conflict-ridden environments, with fast-changing dynamics,

Why outcome harvesting:

They were seeking a MEL approach that would reflect this organisational agenda and concentrate on meaningful evidence, by listening to and valuing communities’ own definitions of what constitutes success.

The Status quo:

• plenty of data on the ‘what?’, but not enough on the ‘so what?’, i.e what difference did it make?
  • Rigid nature of the logframe
  • unhelpful nature of quantitative measures.

What is Outcome Harvesting:

Outcome Harvesting is an evaluation approach inspired by Outcome Mapping and Utilization- Focused Evaluation. Unlike other evaluation methods it doesn’t start with predetermined outcomes, and measure progress towards them, but rather collects evidence of what has been achieved in the programme or project area, and works backwards to determine whether and how the project or intervention contributed to the change.

Outcome harvesting process followed:

asks a few core questions for data-gathering about the change in behaviour:

• Who did what, when and where?

• How significant is this change?

• What contribution was made by the programme to this change?

Why important:

shifting attention away from activities (what did we do?), onto the practical, observable shifts in actions by the actors our programmes are seeking to influence (what did they do differently?).

How is this casestudy different:

Outcome Harvesting is largely practiced as an evaluation approach, they wanted to see if it would help then in their regular monitoring. They wanted teams to be able to discuss ‘outcome

@Alsalehi, can i share this document on linkedin page; mainly for the development evaluation association in my country; EvalJordan

Sure go head.we all need to learn

Thanks Bilal, @Alsalehi